For the Lord God is a sun and shield.
I thank God that even when we don’t see the physical sun, we have the Lord God as a sun! Here are a few of the benefits of the sun and how God, as your sun, provides for you spiritually:
- The sun brings joy, warmth, and energy. Psalm 30:5 says, “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.” Like the sun, the Lord’s presence in your life brings great joy.
- The sun brings routine. You can set your watch by the morning sunrise. You can also depend on God, who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow (Hebrews 13:8).
- The sun brings light to guide you. David said, “You are my lamp, O Lord; the Lord shall enlighten my darkness” (2 Samuel 22:29). Even in the dark, you have the glory of the Lord to light your path.
- The sun brings relief from the darkness. Darkness causes fear and brings great anguish for many who are fearful of the dark, the unseen, and the unknown. The psalmist says, “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall fall on me,’ even the night shall be light about me; indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You (Psalm 139:11-12).
- The sun brings healing. Malachi 4:2 says, “The Sun of righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings.” Not only is physical healing promoted by the sun, but there is spiritual healing in the Messiah’s righteousness.
- The sun brings emotional well-being. States that have a lot of cloudy, gray, wet weather (like Washington!) often see large populations leaving to winter in warmer, drier climates. With or without the sun, and with or without sun breaks, Psalm 30:11 tells you that God can turn your gloom into gladness: “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness.”