Eve… was the mother of all living.
“Guilty!” God pronounced after Adam’s wife listened to the tempter, ate of the forbidden tree, and involved her husband in rebellion. It reverberated in Eve’s heart and mind. There was no doubt about her guilt. But as darkness settled in, she heard Adam declare, “Your name shall be called ‘Eve… the mother of all living.'” With these words Eve glimpsed a fresh ray of light.
Having been given a name filled with promise, Eve realized she, the guilty sinner, could still serve her gracious and forgiving God. How? By bearing Adam’s children and becoming the mother of many generations (1 Corinthians 11:12). Her name reflected the role she would play in spiritual history.
“Eve.” From death sprang life. From darkness, light. From the curse, a blessing. From a sentence of death, hope for the future. From the stinging despair of defeat, the strength of budding faith. Eve was the mother of all living!
Do you know your life counts too? True, you share Eve’s sentence of physical death (Romans 5:12). But you also have life to give and pass on! How?
- You give life through your physical efforts to care for others.
- You share spiritual life by telling others about Jesus.
- You are the life of your home, bringing the sparkle of laughter and joy to others.
- You pass physical life on to your children.
- You can pass the potential for eternal life on to your children by teaching them the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Feed your spiritual life by sending your roots deep into God’s love. The energy of life, the purpose of life, all you have of life to pass on is from the Lord!