The Good StuffSure, preparations for dinner needed to be made. And 12 guests for dinner is a houseful! But this is how Jesus evaluated Mary’s choice to stop her busy serving, sit at His feet, and listen to Him: “Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her” (verse 42). It’s sort of like Jesus was saying, “Listen, Martha, you have all your life to fix and serve food, but today you have Me. Don’t berate your sister. Mary made a most excellent choice.” I’m sure you already know your actions are a matter of choice. You also know that some choices are made for you because they are out of your control. But multitudes of choices arrive with each new day which are yours to make. And these choices, my friend, are a matter of your will. You get to decide what you will or won’t do, how you will or won’t act.
Guidelines to Make Right ChoicesThe following guidelines will help you proceed through your day, confident that you are seeking to make the right choices.
- Treat each day as being important. “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12).
- Acknowledge your need for wisdom—and ask for it! “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5).
- Develop a deep respect for God. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10).
- Maintain a vital relationship with Jesus. “…that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him” (Ephesians 1:17).
- Pay any price for the truth. “Buy the truth, and do not sell it, also wisdom and instruction and understanding” (Proverbs 23:23).
RESPONDDear Lord, please help make the decision-making process clearer for me. When I am faced with a choice to make, help me know to either do it or don’t do it. Thank You for Your wisdom. Amen.
A Woman's Guide to Making Right Choices by Elizabeth George: 50% OFF (only $6.99) for the month of June! You’ll love the hundreds of helpful tips and biblical insights in this book―all designed to help you experience greater productivity and spiritual blessing by:
- eliminating timewasters and negative thoughts and attitudes
- paying attention to food and fitness for more energy and better health
- planning more effectively and finishing well