I’ve been experimenting for years with what I call my “attitude helpers.” They help me get my work done with a happy heart—even the things I don’t like doing!!!
- Prayer always helps — Pray about your attitude toward your chores, the people you serve at home, and your schoolwork. Ask God for His help and His attitude. He can definitely turn your heart into a fountain of joy.
- Use Scripture for a pep talk — Make a list of verses right out of God’s Word that encourage you while you take care of your responsibilities. My favorite is Psalm 118:24—“This is the day the Lord has made; [I] will rejoice and be glad in it.”
- Do your work “as to the Lord” — When things seem unbearable or impossible, Colossians 3:23 comes to the rescue: “Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” This reminder pours fresh joy into an empty heart.
- Tackle your tasks wholeheartedly — As you face tasks (even homework!), make a conscious decision to tackle it energetically and joyfully. A halfhearted attitude will produce halfhearted results—and you sure don’t need that!
- Tackle your tasks energetically — Whatever chore or school project you face, take on the challenge. Roll up your sleeves, “do it with your might” (Ecclesiastes 9:10), and finish fully. You, girl, are on a mission!
- Tackle your tasks creatively — To help make each task exciting, ask yourself, “How can I do this differently? What would make this more fun, more enjoyable?” And my favorite? “How can I beat the clock—do this faster, finish sooner, zip through it?” Do whatever you can to make a game out of your work.
- Tackle your tasks joyfully — The key to joy is to look at your responsibilities at home and school with anticipation rather than dread. See your tasks as challenges rather than drudgery. Look at each demanding job and decide to do it, to do it well, to do it as to the Lord, and to enjoy doing it. Oh, what a difference joy makes!
Beautiful in God’s Eyes for Young Women surrounds you with inspiring Bible verses and Elizabeth’s encouraging guidance. You’ll discover purpose and confidence you’ve only dreamed of having.