Like me, you get up every day, go to your closet, and select the clothes you’ll wear for the day. Well, you need to do the same thing spiritually. Here’s a partial list of God’s approved wardrobe:
- Put on the new man (Ephesians 4:24).
- Put on a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:4).
- Put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering (Colossians 3:12).
- Put on love (Colossians 3:14).
- Adorn yourself with good works (1 Timothy 3:10).
- Be clothed with humility (1 Peter 5:5).
What are you wearing today? Peter says “be clothed with humility.” God wants us to be marked by our clothing, our garments of humility. Like Jesus, who was in the form of God, and equal with God, and before whom every knee shall bow, we are to humbly serve others. He showed us how when “He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded” (John 13:5).
Take a minute to think about your life. Each facet of your life and each person in it is a prime opportunity arranged by God for nurturing the beauty of humility and loving service in you.