Becoming a godly husband ultimately ends with leaving a legacy for your family. Meet Boaz; a man of character. He was a kind and conscious landowner who faithfully obeyed the law of Moses requiring the corners of every field to be left for the poor to glean. Boaz also faithfully followed the law when seeking Ruth’s hand in marriage.
Boaz exhibited in little and big ways the character and trust that all couples must foster and encourage in their marriage. Boaz had all of the qualities of a godly man and he took notice of Ruth, a godly woman. Because he was a man of character, he noticed Ruth, a woman of character. He was a godly husband, father, and he left a legacy for his family that we still talk about today. Here are just a few of Boaz’s character qualities:
- Godly—He had a passion for God. Boaz asked God to bless Ruth (Ruth 2:12)
- Diligent—He had a willingness to work. Boaz was a careful manager of his property. (Ruth 2:1)
- Friendly—He had a desire to be friendly. Boaz gave a warm greeting to his workers and welcomed Ruth to his field. (Ruth 2:4,8)
- Merciful—He had compassion for others. Boaz asked about Ruth’s situation and acted on her behalf. (Ruth 2:7)
- Encouraging—He desired to contribute positively to others. Boaz pointed out Ruth’s strong qualities and spoke of them to encourage her. (Ruth 2:12)
- Generous—He had a giving heart. Although Ruth was willing to work for the food she and Naomi needed, Boaz gave her extra. (Ruth 2:15)
- Kind—He had a kind heart. Naomi thanked God for Boaz’s kindness toward her and Ruth. (Ruth 2:20)
- Discreet—He had a desire to protect Ruth’s reputation. Boaz sent Ruth home from the threshing floor before daylight. (Ruth 3:14)
- Faithful—He was a man who was true to his word. Boaz followed through on his promise to marry Ruth. (Ruth 4:1-10)
During your next Bible study time, open up and read the book of Ruth. It may only be four chapters in the Bible, but it’s a beautiful love story of two godly people who eventually married and went on to leave a lasting legacy all the way to Jesus Christ. Their love story is a genuine, godly example to follow.
Dear Lord, help me remember my focus and goal is to please You all my days. Grant me the grace to become a godly man and a godly husband to my wife. Amen.
RENEWING RESOURCES:A Couple After God’s Own Heart, teaches secrets to a great marriage by learning from biblical couples, such as Abraham and Sarah, Boaz and Ruth, Joseph and Mary, etc. Get started by taking our fun free challenge, “5 Ways in 5 Days to be a Closer Couple.”
With Boaz in mind, create a list of character qualities that you pray to have. Use your journal or make a note on your phone or computer. Write it out. Pray it to God. Commit to it. For encouragement, ask your wife to check off the qualities she believes you already possess.
“Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.” (Proverbs 31:23)