Like the first-steps and the how-tos of cooking in the cookbooks I received at my bridal shower, foundational guidelines to spiritual growth and being a godly wife are simple.
Aren’t you thankful that God keeps it simple when it comes to such a mystical, mysterious element as spiritual growth? We only need to know what God says is the basic recipe for being a woman and a wife after His own heart…and to faithfully follow His recipe. That’s what “great creations” are made up of. And I’m praying that you and I will become just such creations as we faithfully follow these very few-but-simple steps for growing in the Lord!
- Read your Bible every day. Keep in mind that something is better than nothing, so aim for at least five minutes a day of Bible reading. That’s about how long it takes to read one chapter in your Bible.
- Pray for your husband three times every day. Pray before he wakes up, at noon, and right before he comes home from work. Of course it will be easy to repeat this exercise every day for a week. Then, of course, you’ll want to do it for life!
Plan to go to church this week. Whether you are a little rusty on your church attendance, haven’t been going at all, or don’t know where to go, place this all-important “date” on your calendar. Then call neighborhood churches or friends to find out where to go, the times of the weekly services, and any other information you might need regarding a couples’ class or a program for your children. The night before, lay out your Bible, organize for a no-hassle breakfast, and get to bed a little early.
It’s important that you talk to your husband about your desire to go to church. Ask him if he would like to go along with you. Tell him you value his opinions. Also share the information you’ve gathered and ask for his input. If he doesn’t want to go to church with you, that’s okay. Your assignment is to be friendly, excited, and to make a move in the direction of attending church yourself. God’s job is to work on your husband’s heart. And, of course, you’ll be praying for him!
- Sign up for a Bible class or Bible study. I know you’re busy, but you should never be too busy to take care of your spiritual growth. This “little” exercise may require making a few phone calls, but it will be worth it when you experience the exhilarating joy of growing in the Lord, which is the most important way to make a big difference in your life and your marriage!
- Purchase or borrow a Christian book on any topic. Ask your friends and other Christians for their favorite Christian book titles. You can’t buy every book, but you can create a list to remind you which ones to purchase in the future. And don’t forget to make good use of your church library. It’s been said that “by spending 15 minutes a day you can read 25 books in a year.” Now, can’t you scrape up 15 minutes today…and every day? As you learn from authors and teachers and scholars who share their knowledge and their passion for God and His Son, you, too, will grow in knowledge!
- Write a letter of commitment to God. On paper, pour out your desire to grow spiritually. It will only take you about five minutes…but those few minutes could set in motion the direction for the rest of your life!
Dear Lord, I long to be a woman and a wife after Your own heart. Please guide me and help me. Amen.
Enter promo code WEDDING to receive 10% OFF and a FREE marriage prayer guide (PDF download) when you purchase both books!
I suggest this schedule for your first five days of Bible reading:
Day 1 Genesis 1
Day 2 Genesis 2
Day 3 Genesis 3
Day 4 Ephesians 5
Day 5 Colossians 3
Then go back and begin at Genesis 4 and finish the book of Genesis one day at a time, one chapter at a time.