In Paul’s day, women were coming to faith in Jesus Christ out of pagan religions. They sorely needed the godly teaching and example of older women in both the spiritual and practical things of God. And the same is still true today. Women who come to Christ need help as they seek to put off the teachings and standards of the world and put on the behaviors the Word of God teaches.
So how do we keep from listening to the world? Here are some ways:
- Avoid reading the women’s magazines on the newsstands or checkout counters. Or if you do, read with discernment. One glance at the touted contents on the covers will tell you they are filled with worldly wisdom rather than godly.
- Be discerning about women’s talk shows. Again, about five minutes of any one of these programs will communicate that you are getting a dose of the world’s view of your role as a woman.
- Surround yourself with friends who are a godly influence.
- Stay in God’s Word. Your best choice of input is always the Bible. Read it. Relish it. Rely on it. And let it rule your life.
- Read daily from a trusted book on godly living. I found out firsthand that the simple act of reading just five minutes a day keeps me sharp, keeps me thinking, and keeps me on our my toes when filtering out the influence of this world.
Are you a new Christian? Open your eyes and look around. Spot an older woman who’s been a Christian for a while and watch how she loves her husband, how she balances the responsibilities of work, family, and church.
Then go one step further—ask this older woman if the two of you could talk. It doesn’t matter where (let her determine the place). And remember, you’re not asking for a long-term commitment to a mentoring or discipleship relationship. Your meeting may work its way into that, but just ask to get together once.
Prepare yourself for the meeting with your questions gleaned from your reading and studying God’s word. Arrive with a set of questions and a Bible, a journal or notepad, and a pen. Share your questions with her, and then allow this wonderful woman to share her insights with you. Perhaps at some future time, God will give you the opportunity to pass it on to another younger woman!
A Verse to Recall:
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:2).
For further study on the importance and blessings of God’s priorities for your life read my book, A Woman After God’s Own Heart.