In late fall of 1990, Operation Desert Shield became Operation Desert Storm. That meant war. I still remember holding my breath as President George H. Bush addressed the nation on television and spoke the words every military family dreads. He was authorizing the call-up of reservists.
Jim was an Army Reservist. As a registered pharmacist, he was assigned to the Medical Service Corps. After 25 years of routine monthly meetings and after Jim finally qualified for army retirement, we were not prepared for what could happen. Still, it is what we signed up for as a military family. If it was his time to serve then we would serve alongside him, keeping the home alive. Knowing what might be asked of him, Jim’s unit began to prepare for the possibility of going to war.
The same thing has happened again here in America and across the world.
Several weeks ago our nation was blindsided by an invisible enemy. We could see the manifestations of the enemy as it attacked; the coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue, and fever, but until those symptoms appeared, we were unaware of it.
It is still happening today.
A Call to Serve
More and more people are developing these symptoms and many have been lost to this virus. Many great people are now in the arms of the Father having lost their battle. Families are mourning. We stand in prayer with them now and even after this is over.
In the midst of this crisis a new American army has risen up to battle against the enemy we now face. Doctors, nurses, EMTs, and many other medical professionals are working around the clock to fight for the lives of the people in their care. We are calling on YOU to rise up and fight in this battle with them.
How, you may ask? The answer is through intercessory prayer. It’s not just our duty as believers. It’s our duty as Americans and as citizens of Earth. We ask that you pray for all of our medical professionals, emergency responders, first responders, essential workers, those staying home to flatten the curve, and their families. We’re asking that you pray for each and every person who is exhibiting symptoms of this virus. Our God is a mighty and powerful God. He will hear us.
Use These Verses During Your Intercessory Prayer Time:
- "Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise." ~ Jeremiah 17:14
- "Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven." ~ James 5:14-15
- "He said, “If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you.” ~ Exodus 15:26
- "Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you…" Exodus 23:25
- "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." ~ Isaiah 41:10
- "Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." ~ Isaiah 53:4-5
- "But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,’ declares the LORD" ~ Jeremiah 30:17
- “See now that I myself am he! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand." ~ Deuteronomy 32:39
- "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place." ~ 2 Chronicles 7:14-15
- "You restored me to health and let me live. Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish. In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction; you have put all my sins behind your back." ~ Isaiah 38:16-17
- "I have seen their ways, but I will heal them; I will guide them and restore comfort to Israel’s mourners, creating praise on their lips. Peace, peace, to those far and near,” says the LORD. “And I will heal them.” ~ Isaiah 57:18-19
- "Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security." ~ Jeremiah 33:6
- "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well." ~ 3 John 1:2
- "And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." ~ Philippians 4:19
“Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things.” Psalm 103: 1-4
In Prayers to Calm Your Heart, bestselling author Elizabeth George shares from her own personal experiences, points to specific and helpful Scripture verses, and offers soothing prayers to help readers with anxious hearts. As she encourages her readers to develop a solid trust in the Lord, she also offers practical step-by-step advice for facing such worrisome topics as health, finances, and family matters.
Do you know someone in particular in need of prayer? If so, pray for them now. Do you need prayer? If so, please leave us a comment so we may intercede for you.
We are calling on YOU to rise up and fight in this battle with them. It’s not just our duty as believers. It’s our duty as Americans and as citizens of Earth.