Over the years I’ve traveled to India 15 times for ministry. Because of my deep interest in India, my eye was drawn to this story that speaks of doing your best at whatever God calls you to do.
A missionary from India told about an army officer who stopped to have his shoes shined by a poor Indian boy on the street. The lad launched into his task with such enthusiasm and vigor that the man was utterly amazed. Instead of an ordinary, slipshod performance with an all-too-eagerly outstretched hand for a tip, the boy worked diligently until the leather sparkled with a brilliant luster.
The officer asked, “Why are you taking so much time to polish my boots?”
“Well, sir,” was the reply, “last week Jesus came into my heart and now I belong to Him. Since then, every time I shine someone’s shoes, I keep thinking they’re His, so I do the very best I can. I want Him to be pleased!”
This young man demonstrated a desire to do his best. Because of what Christ has done for you and me, how can we do less than give Him our best?
- We give God glory when we do our best.
- We represent the Lord Jesus, therefore we do our best.
- We serve the Lord and not men, so we do our best.
- We provide a living model of our risen Savior while we do our best.
- We fulfill God’s purpose as we do our best.