The Memorial Day weekend often heralds the beginning of summer. And most importantly for most students, it begins the countdown to summer vacation from school!
If we are not intentional with our time, our summer schedules can overflow and become hectic. Our family members will shoot around like fireworks in every direction for sports, summer camps, fun outings, or college prep. Before we know it, the summer has gotten away from us!
Parenting on Purpose
Pause now before the next few months and pencil in times each week to slow down with your family. This will ensure that you are purposeful to connect and to reflect together. You can do this whether you stay at home or plan a vacation. Give everyone plenty of notice, especially if teens are involved.
When these times come around ...
- Prepare a festive meal, cook-out, go out to dinner, or order in!
- Talk about the childhood antics of the kids, how you grew up, and everyone’s favorite thing about summer.
- Share your faith experience … and let your kids share theirs.
- End your time together by drawing people’s names out of a hat and committing to doing two nice things for that person that week.
Thank God profusely for these good times. Cherish them in your heart-of-hearts. Enjoy them to the hilt. Recalling them will turn your heart into a fountain of joy…which, in turn, will refresh your days and your commitment to God’s job assignment to you to “train up” your children for Him.
At the end of the summer ...
- Gather around and ask everyone to share their highlights from the past three months that were fun and meaningful.
- Remember them by recording them in a special notebook, album, or memory book. Doing so will give you something to return to over and over again when you need to see some light and to remember good times.
- Have everyone on your family share what plans they have for the next three months. Encourage each person to share a goal or a dream… and be supportive. Dreams aren’t always based on current reality.
Time keeps on ticking, and seasons seem to go by in an instant! Be purposeful to pause and develop the relationships that will last a lifetime!
Lord, You’ve given me a wonderful family. I delight in being with these people You’ve given me to cherish…and I especially delight in You. Amen.
A Dad After God’s Own Heart by Jim George—In this fresh rerelease, learn the basics for how to be a good dad with your kids!
A Mom After God’s Own Heart—This updated version of Elizabeth’s classic will encourage you as you meet your children's daily needs, influence their lives, and guide their hearts.
In what ways are you purposeful to create space for your family to be together in meaningful ways?
Time keeps on ticking, and seasons seem to go by in an instant!