Before I dusted off the tiny Bible given to a tiny girl (me!), I was lost in “the things in the world” (1 John 2:15). I read worldly books and listened to worldly voices. It was a baffling, frustrating life. As a teenager and a young woman, I had nothing to base my life on . . . until I found God’s Word.
God’s Truth Will Never Change
Never! In the Bible, we have His guidelines for our every need, issue, and day. The Bible comes from God. The Bible is “given by inspiration of God” (2 Tim. 3:16). Every word of it is “God-breathed.” Between the covers of your Bible is rock-solid wisdom—truth you can live by . . . forever. God’s Word blesses you by ...
- keeping you from wrong behavior (Ps. 119:11);
- leading you in the right direction (Ps. 119:105);
- guiding you in the truth (2 Tim. 3:16);
- preparing you to serve others (2 Tim. 3:17);
- sharpening your discernment (Heb. 4:12);
- giving instructions for eternal life (2 Tim. 3:15); and
- being the starting point for true success (Josh. 1:8–9).
Understanding the Bible
Here are a few steps to help you grow in your love and understanding of the Bible.
- Read it. Just pick it up and do it. The only wrong way to read the Bible is not to read it at all (Ps. 119:105).
- Study it. If you so much as pick up a pencil and underline as you read, you are studying the Bible (Ps. 119:18)!
- Hear it. Make sure you get to church. And, if possible, join a Bible study (Heb. 10:25).
- Memorize it. Live God’s way by having His Word in your heart and mind—and following it (1 Kin. 6:12).
- Desire it. As Job declared, “I have treasured the words of His mouth [God’s teaching] more than my necessary food” (Job 23:12).
If you’re struggling or drifting, I urge you to read the Bible. If you need help with a relationship, problem, or decision, then take a weekend to read God’s Word and pray. If you need a renewed passion for God’s Word, then make time each day to read the Bible, even a small portion. God’s Word will make all the difference in every area of your life.
Lord, my heart’s desire is to fill my mind with Your Word. I want to be able to pull up Your truths and promises in a split second, to be able to comfort my soul when needed, and to speak a word in season to those who are weary. Amen.
A Girl’s Guide to Prayer—Understand what prayer really is, how to pray effectively, and what you can pray for.
A Woman After God's Own Heart Bible—Mom, strengthen your heart with this Bible, filled with daily devotions and over 400 Whispers of Wisdom for Daily Life, all which will raise a daughter after God’s own heart.
Study Job 23:12; Psalm 119; 2 Timothy 3:14-17
Immerse yourself in Scripture. And pray as you read. Commit yourself afresh to spiritual growth, inner beauty, and the practice of Bible reading.