The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
The world judges beauty by external elements: the style of a woman’s hair, the designer labels on her clothes, the monetary value of her house and car. But God’s beauty is evidenced by a woman’s words—by edifying, godly words of wisdom that bless others.
James shares eight components in the kind of speech that “is from above.”
- Pure words-that lack any ulterior motives or self-interest
- Peaceable words-that accomplish peace in your relationships with others and with God
- Gentle words-that extend kindness and consideration
- Reasonable words-that indicate a willingness to listen and yield
- Merciful words-that are rich in compassion and kindness.
- Words full of good fruits-that indicate Spirit-controlled speech
- Words without partiality-that are straightforward in dispensing God’s truths
- Words without hypocrisy-that contain no insincerity or deception or pretense
Make the prayer of your heart to bear “the fruit of righteousness.” Pray that you will remember to speak with true wisdom that encourages others, blesses others, and brings honor to the Lord God.
Source title: Windows into the Word of God, by Elizabeth George