We don’t know her name, so let’s call her “Mrs. Noah.” She spent her days loving her husband, Noah, raising their three sons, and caring for their home. Daily life was simple … until “the call” came from the Lord: “I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall go into the ark—you, your sons, your wife, and your sons’ wives with you” (Genesis 6:18).
Grieved over the wickedness of mankind, God decided to destroy humans, the animals of the fields, and the birds of the air. Because Noah trusted and walked with God, God chose to save him and his family and told him to make an ark.
As Noah moved forward in obedience, Mrs. Noah may have mused, What can I do? How can I help my husband fulfill God’s plan?
- Pray. She could pray for mankind as God’s judgment loomed, for her husband as he served the Lord, and for her family to also follow God.
- Encourage. Husbands thrive on their wives’ cheerful, hope-filled words of support. She could encourage Noah in his work.
- Believe. She may have wondered about the ark and the possibility of a flood, but she could choose to believe.
- Help. She could help with the animals and gather the food they would need for their mysterious voyage of faith.
- Follow. She could—by faith—follow her husband’s leading day by day (for 120 years, the 43,800 days it took to complete the ark!)… right into the ark of salvation that transported her family into an unknown future.
Lord, help me find strength for today and hope for tomorrow as I sail into the plan You have for me.
Start or end your day with powerful reminders of God’s work in the lives of women in the Bible and find encouragement for your own faith journey in Elizabeth George’s book, One Minute With The Women Of The Bible.